zondag 13 december 2009

What happens when a painting goes on a journey?

The concept is very simple and yet I'm not aware of anyone doing this: I give a painting to someone I know and trust. He/she gets it for free, for one month, to enjoy, to wonder and ponder about. In exchange, he/she writes about the painting: stories that come up, ideas about what's going on in it, interpretations, reactions from friends and family, and a picture.

After that month the painting continues its journey: I, as the artist, now no longer have total control about things - the first temporarily owner gives the painting to somebody he/she knows - and also: trusts. The next person now has a month to enjoy the painting and, in exchange, write about it online. Month after month, the painting keeps travelling and the blog keeps growing.

I sent four paintings into the world: from my workplace to the four wind directions: north, east, south and west. Where they go after that, I don't know, I trust the people who I gave the painting to.

Where will they travel? A comfy livingroom, a pub or a church? I'm curious. Belgium? Europe? Across one or more oceans? I'm very curious. The journey doesn't stop until somebody decides that the painting has reached its destination: then the painting can be bought, the journey ends there. Will that take half a year or a year and a half? I'm letting this experiment shape itself.

Did you receive a painting? Great, who'd have thought? Enjoy! Post what you think, feel, like, know or don't know. Didn't get any (yet)? Keep following what's going on, see where the journeys lead to! And, who knows, maybe I'll send some more paintings out!

Enjoy!
Maarten Wydooghe

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten